Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System
The TELPAS is administered to all limited English proficient (LEP) students in grades Kindergarten through grade 12. Students are assessed in four domains including Reading, Speaking, Listening, and Writing. The assessments are designed to assess the progress that LEP students make in learning the English language. In terms of their proficiency, students are rated as beginner, intermediate, advanced, or advanced high.
TELPAS results are used to:
- Help parents monitor the progress their children make in learning English
- Inform instructional planning and program exit decisions for individual students
- Report performance to local school boards, school professionals, and the community
- Evaluate programs, resources, and staffing patterns
- Evaluate districts and campuses in a variety of state and federal accountability measures